What You’ll Need:
- Fabric (a cotton-based one, like flannel)
- Thread & Needle or Sewing Machine
- Raw Rice
- Funnel (optional, but recommended)
- Cut 2 pieces of fabric to the size you want your hand warmer or heating pad to be, or cut one piece of fabric to twice the size you want, and fold in half.
- Face the “good” side of the fabric inwards.
- Begin sewing around the edges (I used a whip-stitch), and stop when you have about 2-3 inches left to go.
- Turn fabric inside out, and fill with rice (this is when the funnel comes in handy!)
- Finish sewing around the edges.
For heating: For small hand warmers, heat in microwave at 30 second intervals until desired temperature. For larger heating pads, microwave at 45 second to 1 minute intervals until at desired temperature.
**HINT** you can also use these as ice packs by freezing them!